[REVIEW][3-5] gcc 4.7 UNO bridges fixes

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri May 18 08:37:21 PDT 2012

On 05/18/2012 05:13 PM, Michael Stahl wrote:
> so it seems that the C++ UNO bridges, when built with gcc 4.7, crash and
> burn in the bridges test in testtools.
>
> fortunately Stephan has fixed this problem on master, at least as far as
> i can see, applying the attached patches in a x86_64 --enable-dbgutil
> build gives me a nicely working office that passes all subsequent tests.
>
> so, i guess it would make sense to put these into libreoffice-3-5.

One subsequent fix that should then probably also be backported is
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=e2b7e28c12bb836fd7ab1dcbfc2460f807dd27f6>
"adjust gcc3_linux_intel bridge to work with clang."  From my notes from
early April:  "Ported the cpp_uno bridge changes needed for GCC 4.7 to
the Linux x86 bridge as well, only for Lubos to report that his Clang
tinderbox now fails with that.  Turns out Clang still requires a call to
dummy_can_throw_anything in callVirtualMethod so that exceptions thrown
from within the asm block's call properly unwind through the function,
while GCC 4.7 -O0 breaks if the call to dummy_can_throw_anything is
there.  Sigh.  Back to the drawing board (and my feeling that my
understanding hadn't reached the bottom of the problem yet seems
right)."  As I said on IRC, those fixes are still
work-in-(somewhat-stalled-at-the-moment-)progress.

Stephan