autoconf on mac (was: Re: GSoC Week 1)

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue May 22 02:19:02 PDT 2012

On 22/05/12 11:07, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>> We could also just suggest installing MacPorts and pulling the necessary
>> tools. I do that on my mac box and it works a treat.
>
> On the other hand, we have traditionally been trying hard to educate
> people to *not* mess up their Mac build by involving MacPorts, as it
> has caused harm and confusion. Can one install *only* automake and
> autoconf from MacPorts?

does MacPorts have a hardcoded default location where it installs its
stuff?  (the Fink i used years ago put everything in /sw)

can we
a) hack autogen.sh to invoke a "autoconf" in MacPorts' location (and
maybe Fink's as well) if it exists
b) put some check into configure that whatever part of MacPorts messes
up the build (or just something that identifies MacPorts) is not on $PATH?

[pity that Apple has to make life more difficult for developers again]