--enable-debug vs --enable-symbols (Re: [Libreoffice-commits] .: 12 commits - config_host.mk.in configure.in filter/source oox/source sal/inc sc/source solenv/gbuild toolkit/source xmlhelp/source)

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue May 22 07:11:33 PDT 2012

On 05/22/2012 04:02 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 of May 2012, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

>>>    But --enable-debug also enables asserts, logging and similar
>>> functionality that should be rather useful for developer builds, doesn't
>>> it?
>>
>> But --enable-dbgutil enables that as well (and more of it).
>
>   Uhm? If that is the case, then no wonder people get confused, since this
> means that dbgutil is a superset of debug, except not quite. I've already
> asked Michael, so I'm going to ask you too: What is your idea about what
> these options do?

common subset of what --enable-debug and --enable-dbgutil do: enable
various assertions, warnings, etc. (technically, both enable
OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 0 and disable NDEBUG, for example)

what --enable-debug does in addition: settings that aid in step-through
debugging (like -O0, -fno-inline)

what --enable-dbgutil does in addition: enable additional assertions,
warnings, etc. that are binary incompatible

Stephan