Is there a future for EPS vector graphics in LO ?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed May 23 04:08:43 PDT 2012

Hi Fernand,

	Please CC the developer list :-)

On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 12:12 +0200, Fernand Vanrie wrote:
> Thanks for your interest, but i need some answers:

	Sure.

> Will EPS in the future been exported as Vector Graphics ?

	I know of no-one working on it; but it's a nicely self-contained task
to work on - writing an EPS import filter that would convert that to an
ODF graphic.

> >> SVG still problematic when exported to PDF.
> > 	Right; I suspect it depends on how it is imported, whether as vectors,
> > or as higher-res bitmaps (for embedded objects).
>
> i just "inserted" the famous Pingouin in a writer doc,  neither LO 3.5
> and neither OO  3.4 do a correct export to pdf.

	The SVG work is ongoing. If you insert an object in writer oyu will get
a bitmap, if you load it in draw then paste it in you'll get an editable
vector graphic; as/when we get the vector mode really good we'll drop
the bitmap mode.

> > 	I guess someone else would want to chip in here - but really, the best
> > place to ask is the users-list - this is not a development related
> > question about a code contribution.
>
> Sorry, i hoped to find here a developer to produce the code ? and we are
> candidate to sponsor this effort

	Ah - so if you want to contract someone to do the work; it's good to
mention that :-) I guess there are prolly two things you could ask for -
you could (perhaps) use the WMF preview mode of EPS, and (if we don't
already) make the support for that work nicely in LibreOffice - that may
be a producer-side problem. You could also get an EPS -> ODF import
filter, which shouldn't be impossibly hard to get something quite
useful. I'd poke Lanedo, Credativ, Collabora, Codethink - that sort of
consultancy for a price - or perhaps someone here would like to jump on
that :-) I'd suggest thinking in the order of $10k+ - what is your
budget ?

> > 	Either way sorry for the hassle; the hope is that the SVG rendering
> > will eventually get good enough that it will provide a good solution
> > here.
>
> Will that been possible in the near Future ?

	Nearness is affected only by the level of investment ;-) but in the
next six months I think it's unlikely.

	All the best,

		Michael.