Excel filters for Writer

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Thu May 24 06:12:36 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 15:56 -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>>> Thanks.  What about this one?
>>>
>>> http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/filter/source/config/fragments/filters/StarWriter_DOS.xcu
>>>
>>> Does the same thinking apply to this one also?  I hope yes.
>>
>> The "import excel .xls into a word processor" filters are just odd in
>> the first place. But the StarWriter for DOS filter presumably makes as
>> much sense as any of the rest of the binfilter filters. What singles
>> StarWriter DOS out as problematic as opposed to say StarWriter 1.0 ?
>
> It's associated with the writer_StarWriter_DOS format type which uses
> .txt as the only extension.  So, it gets prioritized when dealing with
> a plain text file with.txt extension even though it's a binary format.
>  I find that a bit odd.

But let's not worry about this.  As I understand it, we tend to
downplay the significance of file name extensions during type
detection, so it's probably not a big deal.  If, for any reason a real
plain text file is incorrectly classified as starwriter dos document,
then we should probably fix the detection service for that format.

So, let's conclude this thread.

BTW, I've removed those Excel for Writer filter types.  That was
enough to make my bug disappear, for now.

Kohei