feature/gbuild_merge needs testing

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Fri May 25 04:28:01 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I pushed feature/gbuild_merge branch that merges 4 gbuild-related
branches rebased on current (~3 days old) master. It seems it still
builds fine on linux and mingw, but I would appreciate more testing. The
current plan is to get it back into master before 3.6 feature freeze,
which do not leave much time (Sorry it took me so much time to do the
merge, but there were a lot of changes, e.g., the recent TDE
integration, and feature/gbuild_connectivity was really old (created in
December or so)).

The branch contains conversion of 5 modules to gbuild: connectivity,
reportbuilder, scp2, shell and testtools. Conversion of scp2 is testable
by http://dtardon.fedorapeople.org/libreoffice/test-conversion.sh , so
it might be a good idea to run

./test-conversion.sh -b
# make clean
make

(The script will build all up to (and including) scp2 at point just
before the conversion of scp2, then build scp2 again at the tip of the
branch and compare the created install scripts.)

The number of modules newly added to tail_build is not as good as I
expected--only 9, if I counted correctly. On the other side all the
really big ones are there already :-) There is experimental branch
feature/tail_build that adds 19 more, but it requires a change to
build.pl, so I do not intend to push it into 3.6 . Of course, if people
who actually know something about the build.pl script look at commit
726ac115a981567b3f41613d0e0163bd010e6b17 and tell me that I am not a
total idiot, or even that it might work at the right phase of moon, I
can be convinced otherwise :-)

Another thing that I should mention is that the gbuild modules seem to
take really good care of dependencies: I only had to add two when
testing build of feature/tail_build .

At the end, an anecdotical evidence about how far we progressed into
gbuild land: the move of gtk/kde file pickers from fpicker to vcl
introduced a dependency loop, because the pickers in vcl depend on
headers from fpicker, but fpicker already (indirectly) depends on vcl.

make cmd cmd='cd vcl; build.pl --all'

Fatal error:
	test depends on:  vcl
	fpicker depends on:  svtools
	toolkit depends on:  test vcl
	svtools depends on:  test toolkit
	vcl depends on:  fpicker
ERROR: There are dead or circular dependencies

Nobody has noticed that (at least I do not remember any thread on the
mailing list regarding such a thing), because both modules are already
in tail_build, so make still works. Incidentally, thanks to Bjoern's
changes to build.pl, make vcl.all works too (or nearly works--it seems
to always break on the last module. That does not bother me enough to
look into that horrible perl script for possible cause, though).

D.