No-cost desktop software development is dead on Windows 8

Gábor Stefanik netrolller.3d at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:09:19 PDT 2012

Unbelievable. Even Apple didn't dare to go this far with OS X 10.8,
which is precisely about "iOS-inspired" enhancements!

I guess it's time to rebrand Microsoft's flagship product as wIndOwS.
Or maybe iWindows.

(And let's not even ention the rumors that RTM is coming late June or
early July - with less than a year between the first alpha and RTM,
that's even more of a rushjob than Windows Me was!)

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Jesús Corrius
<jcorrius at documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/no-cost-desktop-software-development-is-dead-on-windows-8/
>
> Some hightlights:
>
> "If you want to develop desktop applications—anything that runs at the
> command line or on the conventional Windows desktop that remains a
> fully supported, integral, essential part of Windows 8—you'll have two
> 2010 Express products, or pay about $400-500 for Visual Studio 11
> Professional"
>
> "Visual Studio 11 Express will be able to produce HTML and JavaScript
> websites, and nothing more."
>
> "Windows 8: the Windows SDK for windows 8 will not include a compiler
> toolchain at all"
>
> The rules of the game are changing.
>
> --
> Jesús Corrius <jcorrius at documentfoundation.org>
> Deputy of the Board of Directors
> The Document Foundation, Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin,Germany
> Rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)