[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Disabling file opening and saving in print preview mode

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu May 31 14:59:01 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 08:06:12PM +0200, Regina Henschel wrote:
> >However [crazy idea], since we now have a Print dialogue that already
> >contains a preview, might it be worth thinking about just removing the
> >separate print preview feature and making the print preview inside the
> >dialogue a little bigger?
>
> No. Reasons:
> 1. The 'Page Preview' mode shows the content on the page size set in
> the page style. The preview in printing dialog considers real paper
> size and settings of the 'Page Layout' tab of that dialog. It also
> considers selections.

*cough* I dont know if that is a feature. I would assume 99% of our user base
to be confused by 'Page Preview' and 'Print Preview' showing different things
rather than considering it a feature.

> 2. The 'Page Preview' mode has a zoom and a full screen mode.

Well, couldnt those be added in the Print Preview too?

> 3. The 'Page Preview' mode allows changing of margins and column
> width by dragging with the mouse. Especially altering the margins
> here is very important, because the 'Page Preview' shows header and
> footer and considers repeat rows/columns and shows the table
> position.

As Kohei suggest further down this is actually implemented in a
buggy/incomplete way and I find "I will go in the page preview to change
margins (even though it does not use the real paper size, but the one from the
page style)" not really a usecase justifying a whole different view.

So in total, I still like Astrons crazy idea.

Just my 2 cents.

Best,

Bjoern