minutes of ESC call ...
michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Nov 2 05:38:03 PDT 2012
+ Kendy, Stephan, Eike, Markus, Michael M, Petr, Lubos,
Norbert, Thorsten, Caolan, Ahmad.
+ bad week for US overlap; regrets from Joel etc.
* Completed Action Items
+ issues to look into if we can
+ fdo#34548 - review Michael's patch (Thorsten)
+ not happy, not pushing
+ get more details wrt. new hardware & connect (Norbert / Sophie)
+ re-order / update the HardHacks page (Joel)
+ adding fdo#40594 - to the live list of five.
* Pending Action Items
+ create a new AmbitiousHacks wiki page, based on GSOC page (Michael M)
+ audit set of new / built-in fonts (Caolan)
+ poke UX advise wrt. how to improve color management UI team (Markus)
+ issues to look into if we can
+ fdo#55360 - mac specific text issue (Thorsten)
+ fdo#51023 - impress D&D crasher - (Radek)
+ set updater to get 3.5.0..2 -> 3.6.2 (Kendy)
+ instead re-direct to 3.6.3 - but delay until
tomorrow to avoid un-synched mirror load.
+ create script / suggestions to parse Meeks minutes (Bjoern)
+ font bundling and gerrit fun with Astron (Andras)
+ patch / improvements coming from Astron
+ provide a new palette based on Tango (Alex?)
+ minimal triage for good mentors for proposed easy hacks (Bjoern)
+ setup call for designs for FOSDEM T-shirts (Astron)
+ needs feedback from Kendy -> Mirek
* Release Engineering update (Petr)
+ Petr back and mostly recovered from honeymoon
+ 3.6.3 retrospective
+ sadly missing a11y fix queued for 3.6.4
AI: + add a11y issue to release notes (Thorsten)
+ thanks to all for fixing & reviews
+ 3.6.4 rc1 branch deadline is Nov 12th
+ on-line update / full switch-over go/no-go
+ delay for one week.
+ 3.7 timeline: Dec 3rd - week 47
+ feature-freeze 4 weeks out.
* Motah introduction (Ahmad)
+ KACST - government sponsored institute
+ first project to improve Arabic LibreOffice support
+ fix bugs, errors around RTL, Arabic translation etc.
+ feature work planned further out
+ Arabic wiki + documentation work is done
+ open-source engineer, on LibreOffice for four months
* 4.0 decision
+ preference for simple rules, not specifics (Kendy)
+ minimise the impact on all users / ext'n developers
+ smaller ongoing changes - with bigger revisions /
compatibility code, deprecations etc.
+ more details / solvable individual case-by-case issues
to be discussed on the lists.
+ proceeding with plans.
+ two different issues (Stephan)
+ handling incompatibility in 4.0 ?
+ are we in-time to switch 3.7 to 4.0 ?
+ are we in-time to switch to 4.0 ?
+ never a good time to switch with incremental
time-based releases (Kendy)
+ hence ~never having a big bang, introducing
small changes over time.
+ why decide now, not at the outset of the release ?
if we know six months in advance - we'll release
4.0, more room for manoever.
+ we've discussed this for months with no decision
+ now we agree - what's in there / how to break it why
not delay one release ? (Norbert)
+ had a plan for this for over a year - cf. wiki page (Kendy)
+ if we don't do big breakage - why wait ? (Michael)
+ ABI breakage is not a binary thing (mst, Norbert)
+ not able to do the work in the wiki in in 4 weeks (mst)
+ ~none of us has done much of the 4.0 page yet (Stephan)
+ are there are more things to do for a 4.0 ? (Stephan)
+ higher quality / better feature-set.
+ alternative - summer release of 4.0
+ still have issues getting it all done, can we can continue
to break things in 4.1 ?
+ is it better to have a 4.0 with lots of new features
and little breakage ? or not.
+ desire to keep changes as small as possible whatever (Stephan)
+ user-installation changes required (Stephan)
+ can we clean that up in advance ?
+ should we stick with the /3 directory ?
+ how about berkelydb removal - does that break things anyway ?
+ we can't do all the changes we want to do in one release (Lubos)
+ could we plan to do 5.0 after a couple of releases ?
+ if so engrave those dates in stone to avoid re-discussion (Norbert)
+ announce ABI is not set in stone - and may change post 4.0 (Norbert)
* majority view is to have a 4.0 release with very limited ABI
breakage in place of 3.7 - however some progress on the wiki
AI: + post proposed set of rules for 4.x ABI handling to
list for discussion (Kendy)
AI: + update wiki page / versioning details (Petr)
(out of time):
* submodules retrospective (Norbert)
* FOSDEM dev-room:
* Proposed easy-hacks -> Easy Hacks (Joel)
+ re-visit finding devs to build code-pointers for these:
* QA update (Joel / Bjoern)
* Hard Hacks:
* Fixed 3.7 MAB
+ fdo#55290 - LOdev 3.7 won't install [ on Windows ]. Error 1935
+ thanks to David Ostrovsky and David Tardon
+ fdo#56291 - saving spreadsheets with passwd looses content
+ thanks to Markus Mohrhard
* Open 3.7 MAB / regressions [ there should be none ]:
+ 3 (of 16) older 3/14 2/13
+ fdo#53525 - 2 columns Table of contents exceeds page width ?
+ fdo#55563 - PPTX image background rendered incorrectly
+ fdo#55570 - significant autocorrect slow-down (Stephan)
+ fdo#56460 - CRASH closing specific .odg files ?
* 3.6 most annoying bugs ...
+ 35 (of 145) older 33/139 30/132 27/127 44/139 46/137 45/132 44/127 39/119
24% 24% 23% 21% 32% 34% 34% 35% 33%
* 3.5 most annoying bugs ...
+ 69 open (of 279) older 75/278 77/279 78/278 81/279 82/279 83/279 80/270
25% 27% 28% 28% 29% 29% 30% 30%
* 3.5 bugs tagged with 'regression'
+ 177(+1) bugs open of 882(+10) total
* ~Component count net *
+ Writer - 74 (-1)
+ Presentation - 18 (-3)
+ Crashes - 16 (+0)
+ Database - 15 (+1)
+ Spreadsheet - 13 (+1)
+ LibreOffice - 12 (+0)
+ Drawing - 12 (-1)
+ Borders - 11 (-1)
+ Migration - 5 (-2)
+ Basic - 3 (+1)
+ Writer / RTF - 3 (+1)
+ Migration tracker: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43489
michael.meeks at suse.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot
More information about the LibreOffice