planning gerrit downtime

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at documentfoundation.org
Sat Nov 3 06:18:59 PDT 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff at documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for a RAM upgrade of the physical host, I plan a gerrit downtime for next
> Monday. Unfortunately, I cannot schedule that exactly, since it also depends
> on when our ISP has time.
>
> I plan to do a clean shutdown of gerrit, then order the upgrade with our
> ISP, and expect a downtime of 1-3 hours.
>
> Such long downtimes are usually not desirable. ;-) However, is Monday a
> specifically bad time for doing so? Scheduling to the weekend won't work
> because of our ISP's working times.
>
> If you do *not* want me to do the upgrade on Monday, or if you have specific
> time wishes (between 9 and 1500 UTC) please let me know, keeping me in Cc,
> since I'm not subscribed to the list.

Monday and Tuesday are in general not desirable since that is
typically when Petr Tag and Branch for rc/beta etc...
Thursday/Friday would be better in that regards

Monday is particularly not desirable when the outage is announce over
the week-end... You want to leave a _least_ a business day for the
announce to get a chance to be picked-up.

Norbert