FYI: Cleanup of debug options

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Nov 5 08:15:45 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 15:00 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> the --enable-symbols/debug/dbgutil DEBUG/debug options and some confusion

	Having done a from-clean build, and been unable to debug because my
autogen.lastrun contains --enable-symbols - and that now fails to do
anything - I did some digging to try to restore that functionality.

	It appears that prepending:

CFLAGS=-Os -g
CXXFLAGS=-Os -g

	to your autogen.lastrun will restore the original --enable-symbols
functionality; and of course leaving that option there does no harm if
you want to share your autogen.lastrun with older versions.

	Why do I extensively use that option, though I'm not a packager:

	* I like to run the code the end-user runs - warts and all.
	* I like to be able to profile accurately without re-building
	  everything (cf. above)
	* Having no symbols / debug-info is rather unhelpful for both
	  debugging, and profiling though  perhaps it's a reasonable
	  default for size reasons

	Anyhow - no doubt it's a big improvement to get the CFLAGS etc. pushed
through configure and used everywhere cleanly :-)

	HTH,

		Michael.