FYI: Cleanup of debug options

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 11:26:06 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
>  I don't think it works like that. What users run is most probably what's been
> build using that MSVC thingy, which doesn't understand either of the options.

there are some effort to fix that... the 'symbol server stuff'

> On Monday 05 of November 2012, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>> > Note that what the end user runs is -O2 rather than -Os IIUC.
>>
>> actually that is platform and even sometime source dependent.
>> which makes global level carpet bombing using CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/LDFLAGS
>> a not necessarily appealing option.
>
>  You are probably confusing CXXFLAGS as in "the flags that are passed to the
> compiler" and CXXFLAGS that are passed to gbuild, which is not the same.

an how exactly the external library are supposes to make the
difference when it found it in the env ?
(yeah, I, and I bet most peopel would not want to be bothered retyping
the C[XX]FLAGS every time.. so export them)

>  See? It's not so simple.

yeah, and that is why I prefer to not have to deal with the intricacy
of it... that is what --enable-symbol is meant to provide: you get
what you ask, even if you are not ware of how hard it is... sure it is
possible that --enable-symbol is borked and does not do the 'right
thing'... but that is even more reason to be suspicious of the ability
of everyone to get it right manually, when a bunch of smart people
together can't get it right once.

In the end I still miss the answer to the question: what is the gain
of removing --enable-symbol ?
and if C[XX]FLAGS is the 'proper' and 'easy' way to do it.. then why
do we have --enable-debug ?