binfilter removed in LO 4.0 : how to communicate on this change?

Alex Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 01:44:25 PST 2012

On 11/10/2012 08:17 AM, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

> - what the user can do with its old files: I think it is not enough to
> say "you have to convert them with an old version of LibreOffice". For
> example, I have old sdw and sxw files in my laboratory diary and I do
> not want to lose their modification date if I convert them in ODF. What
> should I do and what advice I could give to an end-user who is in the
> same position?

You make a good point, but if there are no mechanisms in place to
guarantee the date of creation of the file in the first place, then the
fact that the "last modified" date might get changed when converting to
ODT will not make the file creation date any less valid than the already
suspect "file creation" date. If your lab books/diary, which I'm
assuming are "electronic", do not have a certifiable means of
guaranteeing the date of creation of any added file then the whole point
is moot, since if you can change that date without impacting on file
integrity then you can do pretty much anything you like to your files
and their legal value as elements of proof of creation will be next to
worthless.

Alex