framework - Find/remove useless ifdefs and dead code within them

Marcos Souza marcos.souza.org at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:06:05 PST 2012

2012/11/10 Matúš Kukan <matus.kukan at gmail.com>

> On 10 November 2012 17:51, Marcos Souza <marcos.souza.org at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi List!
> >
> > Some days ago, I developed a script that can show to us all ifdefs that
> > don't have a "#define".
> >
> > After run this script in the "framework" dir, I get this list:
> >
> > ifdef ENABLE_COMPONENT_SELF_CHECK without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef DBG_UTIL without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef fpf without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef fpc without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef ENABLE_SERVICEDEBUG without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef ENABLE_TARGETINGDEBUG without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef ENABLE_REGISTRATIONDEBUG without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef ENABLE_PLUGINDEBUG without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef ENABLE_MUTEXDEBUG without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef ENABLE_FILTERDBG without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef ENABLE_EVENTDEBUG without #define. This can be removed?
> > ifdef ENABLE_GENERATEFILTERCACHE without #define. This can be removed?
> >
> > This is the output of my script. I belive DBG_UTIL is defined in an other
> > way (a lot of code within this ifdefs around the LO) but I didn't notice
> any
> > define explicitly.
>
> git grep DDBG_UTIL points to solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk, where also
> others are defined (probably not from this list).
> But for some, it's not that obvious and grepping for D<name> does not
> help, see for example gb_Helper_define_if_set.

Thanks Matus!

But, in this case, I will try to verify these D<ifdef name> too, now that I
know that defines could be used in the build. Do you believe this is a
valid approach to do before talk with the list about these ifdefs?

I will ignore DBG_UTIL in my script and others defines within solenv/gbuild/
gbuild.mk with -D<macro name>

List,

What you can say about these other macros? After your comments, I believe
we can get ride of a lot of code, and make the LO better without all junk
that we can found.

Thanks a lot guys!

--
Att,

Marcos Paulo de Souza
Acadêmico de Ciencia da Computação - FURB - SC
Github: https://github.com/marcosps/
"Uma vida sem desafios é uma vida sem razão"
"A life without challenges, is a non reason life"