[ANNOUNCE] libreoffice-4.0.0.0.alpha1 tag created + modified packaging of source tarballs

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Tue Nov 20 06:58:44 PST 2012

Hi,

there have been created the libreoffice-4.0.0.0.alpha1 tag. The
corresponding official builds will be available within next few days.

PURPOSE:
This release in intended only for internal testing. The main
purpose is to test that we are able to create release builds from
master and that they are usable for testing. We will not push it on
mirros. Please, do not announce the bugs widely.

IMPORTANT: We switched to submodules in git, so there are not longer
symlinks from the optional modules. I used this opportunity to slightly
modify packaging of the sources:

	1. Use the same top-level directory for all tarballs:

                + libreoffice-<version>

	2. removed -core from the main tarball name, so we have:

		+ libreoffice-<version>.tar.xz
		+ libreoffice-dictionaries-<version>.tar.xz
		+ libreoffice-help-<version>.tar.xz
		+ libreoffice-translations-<version>.tar.xz

The result is that they can be easily unpacked using:

        for tarball in *.xz ; do tar -xf $tarball ; done

Please, let me know if you do not like this change.

NOTE: If time permits, I will try to produce list of commits and fixed
bugs against 3.6.3. It is a bit tricky and might take some time.

I think that the list of new features is more interesting in
this case, see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.0

Now, you might switch your current 3-6 source tree to it using:

./g fetch --tags
./g checkout -b tag-libreoffice-4.0.0.0.alpha1 libreoffice-4.0.0.0.alpha1

Linux distro packages might find source tarballs at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/pre-releases/src/
They will be available from the official page together with the builds.

See also the schedule at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan#4.0_release
and release criteria at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Release_Criteria

Best Regards,
Petr