Last Hackfest infos

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Thu Nov 22 03:22:30 PST 2012

Florian Effenberger wrote:
> just one more day, and we'll all meet for the Hackfest in Munich -
> looking forward to that!

And I!

Beyond that, we thought it might be a nice group experience to have
a little keysigning party on Saturday morning.

What's a key-signing party?

A key-signing party is a get-together with GPG/PGP users for the
purpose of meeting other PGP users and signing each other's keys.
This helps to extend the "web of trust" to a great degree. Also, it
sometimes serves as a forum to discuss strong cryptography and
related issues.

Given the short time for this announcement, it will be rather
informal, i.e. no prior collection of keys etc. If you want to
participate, required items are:

        1. Physical attendance
        2. Positive picture ID (some people may want to see two:
           e.g. your driver's license on top)
        3. Your key ID, key type, HEX fingerprint, and key size
           (http://dev.man-online.org/man1/gpg-key2ps/ is a useful
            tool to generate those key slips)
        4. A pen/pencil or whatever you'd like to write with....
        5. NO computer

Why should I use encryption?

You should use encryption, if you need (or want) to protect your
personal emails from being read by individuals or entities other
than your intended recipient(s). Encryption, when used correctly,
can provide message privacy, message integrity, message
authentication, and to some degree non-repudibility.

Save travel to everyone, take care & see you tomorrow!

-- Thorsten