screencast instructions

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Thu Nov 29 08:36:11 PST 2012

I was asked by a number of people about how I created
http://users.freedesktop.org:8080/~noelp/zoom/JumpingAnchoredShapes.ods

and in particular the captions/subtitles.

I will give as brief a description as I can, you have a number of
choices to create a screen cast, first thing you need something
to capture your screen content and/or audio ( I choose to not use audio
for various reasons, embarrassment, lack of patience trying to stick
together a separate audio track when I inevitably would screw up the
audio after doing the screen cast etc, )

I used recordmydesktop ( available from all good linux distros ), my
commandline was something like

    recordmydesktop  --v_bitrate  2000000 -o zoom.ogv ( cntrl-c when
finished and it will dump the .ogv file )

for me the high bit rate "--v_bitrate  2000000" was necessary to
smoothly capture mouse movements, quickly changing items on the screen
etc. Fool around with the value or maybe the default will work for you.
On opensuse this just worked out of the box and although I didn't use
the audio if you are happen to be happy with the sound of your own voice
and you have described what you are doing while doing your screencast
that's it, you should be done, just upload and away you go.

so.. onto the subtitles lots of google hits make me try 'aegisub' but
this was a waste of time for me, just didn't work, next on the list was
'gnome-subtitles', that's what I used and it worked reasonably well.
Initially thought it wasn't working for a while ( blank video preview ),
it suddenly started working ( perhaps it was to do with the restricted
codec stuff I pulled in previously ) or maybe it just doesn't work every
attempt to load a video, no idea really, anyway once it was working all
was good. Only problem for me was the video preview was quite small to
work with, was a little hard to see where I was in the video while
trying to create the subtitles. I won't describe how to use
gnome-subtiles, it is pretty basic but does the job, I was able to use
it without use of help or examples or whatever so basically anyone
should be able to use it. After you produce your subtitles you should
end up with a .srt file ( mostly should be the same name as your video
file for players to pick it up ) If you are happy to distribute the 2
files then that's it your finished.

Me, I wanted just to upload a video with the comments in it so I went a
little step further, here's where it gets a little hairy and the
commands below worked for me but... ymmv, So, basically with subtitles
you can either deliver them with a separate file ( the .srt file
previously mentioned or there apparently is another popular
caption/subtitle format '.ass' - I kid you not!!! ) or some video
container formats support subtitle streams. The thing about delivering
the subtitles either internally ( in the video container ) or externally
as a separate file is that the player has to decide ( or you tell it )
to display them. I wanted to actually have the subtitles encoded in the
video stream itself and the only way I found to do that which worked (
to actually re-encode subtitles into the video stream ) was to use
mencoder. Unfortunately I couldn't get mencoder to actually deal with
ogg directly so I cheated and just let mencode output to the default avi
contain ( and of course whatever mpeg format mencoder chose, ) so if you
wish to do this you most likely need to download those restricted codecs
( at least on opensuse I think you will )

    mencoder zoom.ogv -o output-zoom.avi  -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3
-oac mp3lame -sub zoom.srt -lavcopts vbitrate=2400

again the bitrate here was to preserve the quality when transcoding (
there are probably better options to chose if you know what you are
doing, I don't ) but.. that value worked well for me

to get back to ogv & theora video codec I used ffmpeg to once again
transcode

ffmpeg -i ~/output-zoom.avi -b 14000k zoomcast.ogv

and again the random bitrate was something that worked well to preserve
the video quality ( without it the result was smaller in size but quite
blurry )

It is possible to create an ogv ( I found out later ) with the subtitles
embedded. see
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ogg-theora/subtitles/embedding-subtitles/ for
more details ( unfortunately firefox doesn't seem to show them ) Totem
seems to show them nicely ( mplayer didn't )

I am pretty sure there is probably some html magic that you could do to
embed the video whilst making it display the subtitles ( even when
delivered as a separate file or in the .ogv ) however I don't know how
to do it

I will probably try and put this info on the wiki ( or someone else
might get there before me ) and then some clueful person can improve
these instructions. Anyway hope the info was helpful to someone

Noel