optimising OUString for space

Noel Grandin noel at peralex.com
Mon Oct 1 05:23:36 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-01 13:58, Michael Stahl wrote:
> On 01/10/12 13:25, Michael Meeks wrote:
>
> 	The only problem with a change there is our ABI - which explicitly
> exposes the encoding of that.
> the right time to do it is for LO4.  sadly nobody has signed up for that
> yet :( ... (while there are volunteers for far sillier proposals, like
> getting rid of com.sun.star...)

Perhaps we need to split out some preparatory tasks?
For example
  - fix code that directly accesses the underlying buffer
  - create an external iterator class (which would currently be a thin
wrapper around int) for looping over the buffer and indexing into it
-  fix code that indexes into an OUString to use the new external iterator

Once those tasks are taken care of, the actual conversion to using UTF-8
internally will become a great deal simpler.