OUString is mutable?

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Mon Oct 1 09:05:53 PDT 2012

In the WinRT APIs (not to be confused with the Windows RT on Atom) introduced with Windows 8, strings are immutable.  I suspect that hardware features may be exploited to ensure that they stay that way.

I haven't got my head around how that works with the still-supported BSTR at the native level.  There can be some simple testing to see if access violations are triggered even when the data structure is accessed internally via native code.

In addition to the considerations already listed, there are also security considerations applicable to strings, having to do with their use in native code exploits to access other heap or code storage by addressing beyond or before the string location.  I suppose that genuinely-immutable strings might provide some safeguard against exploits of that nature.

Regarding the mention that the latest Java VM is using UTF8 internally instead of unsigned short arrays is rather daunting.  There is an easy way to test it -- see if char values that are not admissible UTF16 codes can be used in construction of a string and then extracted correctly.  If they can, there is no way that transformation to and from UTF8 occurred.  If they can't, it is an interesting breaking change in Java.  With regard to string literals, it would be interesting to see what can be introduced into those via escape codes too.

 - Dennis