Drop support for Java 5?

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 05:53:24 PDT 2012

On 02/10/12 14:37, d.ostrovsky at idaia.de wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Zitat von Christian Lohmaier <lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com>:
>
>> Hi David, *,
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM,  <d.ostrovsky at idaia.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Java 7 is today the current version, Java 6 is the old one and Java 5 is the
>>> ancient one. Does it still make sense to support it in LO 3.7 or even in LO
>>> 4.0?
>>
>> Mac OSX 10.4 only comes with 1.5.
>
> what about to drop support for Mac OS X 10.4 then?

that is on the LO4 todo list :)

it's a bit annoying for users to bump platform requirements in a minor
release, so LO4 sounds like the better target, and isn't that far off.

doesn't make sense to support an OS release that the OS vendor hasn't
been supporting for years.  same goes for Windows 2000.   iirc JRE5 is
also no longer supported by Oracle.

a more difficult question is, should we require OS X 10.6 and thereby
drop support for OS X on PPC altogether?