bundled saxon considered harmful

Peter Jentsch pjotr at guineapics.de
Thu Oct 4 12:58:11 PDT 2012

Hi David,

I found the MS XML 2003 filters to use XSLT 2.0, but only for the way
they referred to extension functions (which is no longer required).
Also, Saxon offers some optimizations for the recursive templates used
in spreadsheetml 2003 (that Xalan doesn't handle well), so that might
have been a reason, too. But those performance problems are now fixed
(in master, at least), so that shouldn't be a problem for our internal
filters.

I'm afraid it'll be hard to dig out any more substantial reasons why
Saxon has been introduced.

XSLT 2.0 is being used by the transformation tools provided by the TEI
(Text Encoding Initiative), which also supports ODF, although I don't
think they offer real LibO/OOo import/export filters. Besides that,
people using custom import/export filters might be bitten by the fact
that Saxon / XSLT support disappears from the standard install set.

I'd favor the github variant for the saxon addon for no specific reason.

Cheers,

Peter