Making debug builds with symbols for Mac OSX available

Alexander Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 03:29:49 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I can now build my own OSX versions again from master :-), so I thought
it might be useful to be able to make them available for others wishing
to hunt bugs on OSX, but I've hit a snag and am looking for advice on
how to circumvent the problem.

When I copy the DMG over to another machine and install the dev version
to that machine, if I then try and use gdb, it fails to find the symbols
because these point to the paths on the build machine. For some reason,
the debug symbols are stored as absolute paths and not relative ones. Is
there any way around this ?

My autogen switches for the debug stuff are :

--enable-debug
--enable-dgbutils
--enable-symbols

Alex