big Deps ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Oct 12 09:57:59 PDT 2012

Hi there,

	Jack - FYI, I got bored and did this easy hack myself ;-)

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 13:47 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 06/21/2012 10:57 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	Fair enough; but we could presumably easily tweak that such that a .hdl
> > and .hpp would be updated in lock-step; after all if the .hpp is not
> > changed - it necessarily includes the .hdl - so we didn't really gain
> > anything from not touching the .hpp :-)
>
> Yeah, could probably be done.

	Turns out that gnumake does that anyway so I pushed this to git. We
miss a dependency on a single .hdl file - but that one seems so unlikely
to change at all that it's worth the win I think.

	I also elided all boost headers, turning them into a single header -
for the case that boost is internal.

	These two ~halve the size of the dependencies we parse for 'sw' at
least vs. a 3.6 tree I have to hand:

$ ls -lh workdir/unxlngi6.pro/Dep/LinkTarget/Library/libswlo.so.d # 3.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users 58M Oct 12 ...
$ ls -lh workdir/unxlngi6.pro/Dep/LinkTarget/Library/libswlo.so.d # master
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users 25M Oct 12 ...

	Sadly that only gives a speedup (for a clean do-nothing build) of 'sw'
of: 14.5 -> 11seconds, which is less than I had hoped.

	Hopefully it doesn't break things for anyone; IIRC there were a few
more simple ideas for eliding sillies in there, but I forget what they
were.

	Presumably given the reasonably small size of the win - we've done
something else that confuses / slows down make substantially [ perhaps
doing something with that unit test in sw is it ? ].

	HTH,

		Michael.