ndtbl.cxx unused?

d.ostrovsky at idaia.de d.ostrovsky at idaia.de
Tue Oct 23 03:18:50 PDT 2012

Hi,

Quoting David Tardon <dtardon at redhat.com>:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:05:48AM +0200, Miklos Vajna wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 07:01:36AM +0200, David Tardon
>> <dtardon at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > If a source file really contained only unused functions, it would likely
>> > have been found (and removed) with the help of callcatcher. Of course,
>> > that would not help if the source were not compiled at all (and we found
>> > such files on several occasions in the past)... I wonder if it would be
>> > possible to construct a (more or less) complete list of used source tree
>> > files from make dependencies; something that could be scripted and run
>> > periodically to ensure we are not accumulating unused cruft...
>>
>> Not so easy, I think -- all OSX/Win-specific files are unused in a Linux
>> build, for example...
>
> That is why I wrote "possible", not "easy" .-)

Often the not easy problems are the most interesting ;-)
Typical distributed process with three steps here:

* first run it on all our main platforms (android, ios, macosx, mingw,
win32, win64 (yes, we have x64 shell extensions), linux32, linux64)
* combine the results
* compare against source tree

Regards
David