STRING * n support in StarBasic

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:17:34 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> Devilishly, it should actually happen to work just fine, as tools String and
> rtl::OUString are layout-compatible.

humm... pretty scary... wonder how many other bug are accidentally hidden ?

> But the fix would simply be switching the implementation of
> SbiRuntime::StepPAD (and possibly more) to properly use the SbxVarialbe's
> OUString, and nothing more, or what am I missing?  So I fail to see how that
> relates to getting rid of xub_StrLen.

One issue is that String already enforce the 64K limit (despite
internally using a int32 for the len), whereas OUString, obviously
does not... should we bother enforcing that limit ? including
maintaining a distinction between 'variable-len' (Basic) String and
'fixed-len' String (which is not going to be trivial since they are
represented by the same kind of object)

while on the topic of magic c++ trick:

does

OUString* a = get_some_OUString_pointer()

*a = a->copy(0,5);

leak or not ?

Norbert