How do I prepare and upload spell check dictionaries for biodiversity in South Africa?

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 03:12:09 PDT 2012

Hi Leslie,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Leslie Powrie <L.Powrie at sanbi.org.za>wrote:

>  I have prepared spell check dictionaries for use in MS Office for South
> African botanical (48011 names), zoological (30884), and physical feature
> (107428) names.****
>
> **

Great!

> It seems as though LibreOffice probably has a similar limit. It appears as
> though the limit may be 30000 names.****
>
> **

It is a sal_Int16, so 32768 is the limit. See
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/linguistic/source/dicimp.hxx#56

>  **
>
> But another problem is with accented characters. Many of our place names
> have ö, ô, é and so forth. So although the dictionary has the name
> Aasvoëlkranskloof

Custom dictionaries are plain text files with LF (0x0a) line endings and
encoded in UTF-8.

OpenOffice.org=****

> OpenDocument=****
>
> AppArmor****
>
> **

= at the end of the word means that it must not be hyphenated.

> ** **
>
> Once ready, how do I upload them?****

AFAIK it is not possible to create extension (.oxt) for user defined
dictionaries. Alternatively you can create normal Hunspell dictionaries,
which do not have size limitation and can handle affixes, too. It's been
planned for a long time that auxiliary dictionaries can extend main
dictionary, so users can use e.g. main en-US Hunspell dictionary and a
special en-US Hunspell dictionary on the top of that at the same time. I'm
not sure, if it is ready. Laszlo Nemeth can tell us more.

Best regards,
Andras