ENABLE_SYMBOLS=true does nothing

David Ostrovsky david.ostrovsky at gmx.de
Tue Oct 30 15:11:04 PDT 2012

On 30.10.2012 22:03, Kohei Yoshida wrote:

>> inside a module should just enable debug symbols, and nothing but
>> symbols.
>
> So, this script can add -g to the CXXFLAGS, but unfortunately the
> symbols get stripped during linking because of -Wl,-S option passed to
> the linker.

grep -r LINKERSTRIPDEBUGFLAGS *
LinkTarget.mk:gb_LinkTarget__get_stripldflags=$(if $(call
gb_LinkTarget__debug_enabled,$(1)),,$(gb_LINKERSTRIPDEBUGFLAGS))
platform/unxgcc.mk:gb_LINKERSTRIPDEBUGFLAGS := -Wl,-S

But why something like that would be needed anyway? If you don't want
symbols, don't use -g and If you do have symbols don't strip it!
I would recommend to follow the rule of least surprise: no one expects
the symbols to be stripped.
Would it be an option to remove that magic behaviour or at least turn it
off per default?

Regards
David