ENABLE_SYMBOLS=true does nothing

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:10:50 PDT 2012

2012/10/31 Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well tinderbox works nicely and easily with an autogen.lastrun
>>> associated with a given profile...
>>> messing with env variable is not as neat and is just a pain when
>>> managing many of these profile...
>>> what is the harm of --enable-symbol ?
>>
>>  ./configure --enable-symbol
>>  ./configure CXXFLAGS='-Os -g'
>>
>>  Where's the difference in that?
>>
>>> note: I think the one that should go is dbgutil...
>>> --enable-symbol => release build but with symbols
>>> --enable-debug => debug build (with symbol of course)
>>> extra feature (dbg-util) => --enable-debug + runtime trigger to
>>> activate the 'special' stuff
>>
>>  How exactly do you envision a runtime trigger that activates binary
>> incompatibility? Because that's exactly what makes dbgutil different from
>> debug.
>
> then make dbgutil feature not binary incompatible... I'm not c++
> expert, but surely there is ways to provide these extra feature
> without touching the interface.
> iow having a impl_debug pointer that can be used if not null to do
> extra stuff... very low cost for release and flexible for debug..
> without the binary incompatibility

enable-dbgutil uses the stl debug libraries which are binary
incompatibel with the normal stl libraries.

I still don't see how the three different switches are confusing:

enable-symbol: only add debugging symbols but still with optimization
enable-debug: additionally no optimization to make it easier to debug
enable-dbgutil: switch to stl debug library + some more stuff (binary
incompatible)

Maybe I'm missing something but they seem to be separated clearly and
each has its own purpose. I think with the argument that you can
specify the parameters in the CXXFLAGS we can also remove enable-debug
and most likely many more.

Regards,
Markus