Impress Remote / dbus

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 08:47:30 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 14:59 +0200, Andrzej J. R. Hunt wrote:
> gdbus is included in glib >= 2.26 (i.e. since 2010), dbus-glib is
> included in the LO codebase and works with all versions of glib (as
> far as I can tell).
>
> Currently dbus-glib is only used in vcl with gtk, and it is only
> compiled when --enabled-dbus is used. (The doc on the autogen.sh page
> states " Determines whether to enable presentation mode screensaver
> control under GNOME via DBUS.")  It appears that this isn't very
> commonly enabled (default is off, and only enabled for OxygenOffice in
> distro-configs).

Well, FWIW

a) I think we should at this stage default dbus usage on for generic
Unix and require the use of --disable-dbus if building against a
too-old/missing dbus.

b) I think we should raise the baseline that we build the downloadable
universal version of LibreOffice on from effectively RHEL-4 to at least
RHEL-5.

It'd be nice to have the feature available in the universal builds, and
not just the distro builds, which would mean that gdbus would still be
likely too recent to be universal enough for that build.

> dbus-glib is used in tubes.
>
> I think it would be worthwhile having bluetooth working by default for
> the remote control. Should I:
>
> 1. Port my code to dbus-glib and always build dbus-glib? Or port my
> code to dbus-glib and leave everything else as is, meaning bluetooth
> on Linux needs the user to use --enable-dbus?

I feel this is the best approach. Except that I'll toggle enable-dbus on
by default rather than off when I get the chance. Which would mean that
the rhel-4 based universal-build-generating box would either have to
start using --disable-dbus or get upgraded to something less archaic.

C.