[Libreoffice-qa] How Can I Provide More Info For Developers

Joel Madero jmadero.dev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 12:42:32 PDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM, John Smith <lbalbalba at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> >         You can always make it easier for a developer to solve - and the
> easier
> > it is, the more likely it is to get solved quickly. Ways to do that are:
> >
> >         * getting a stack-trace with full debugging symbols
> >
> >         * running valgrind with full debugging symbols and
> >           attaching a trace.

Sounds good, but I agree with John that better instructions are needed. I'm
working on a new triage page and hopefully in there we can get someone to
contribute incredibly precise, easy for noobs, instructions for every type
of backtrace/debug. Right now they are really written by experts for
experts (IMO). I would backtrace much more frequently if I could follow the
instructions on how to do it. Every time I feel like I have to go on IRC
and ask 100 questions.

> If this is the case, maybe pre-build binaries with full debugging
> symbols should be made available for download (more) easily: both for
> releases and daily master builds ? Also, a 'howto' on how to do this
> (on linux, with gdb, on windows, with windbg ?) would be nice to have
> ?

I don't think we have enough people packaging to make pre-built binaries
for everyone. Plus, these are huge, my install is 22 gigs with all symbols
on, not very good for packaging purposes.

Best Regards,
Joel