Design-related questions

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Tue Sep 11 05:07:20 PDT 2012

Hi Alex,

Alexander Wilms píše v So 08. 09. 2012 v 00:38 +0200:

> during the last IRC meeting of the design team a few questions were
> raised and maybe some devs could answer them.
>
> 1) Would it be feasible to create a new UI element, a modal bar like
> the one shown in Nautilus when e.g. an MP3 player is plugged. After
> the user exits Impress' slideshow mode while using the Android remote,
> a modal bar should appear, featuring a button to disconnect the phone
> and one to stay connected for future presentations.

It's always best to attach a screenshot / mockup to show what you have
exactly in mind :-)  But if I understand that correctly, it is the thing
that Firefox also uses to teach more about the license etc.

This is not the first request for this - Cedric might need that for the
CMIS work, or Lubos for his planed font-related work.  Ie. it will
happen, but no idea yet who will be the lucky one who implements it
first ;-)

> 2) Do you need the option 'Size optimization for ODF format'. We're
> not sure whether it's an advanced feature used by devs or if it's
> unneccessary.

Is that the option that internally formats the xml so that it is better
readable by humans?

The devs can for sure use some external pretty-printers (xmllint or
something) to achieve this, so I think they are not the target group
here.

> 3) Is it possible to integrate warnings like 'You're saving to OOXML,
> which means some formatting might get lost.' into the system file dialogs?

Like, to use that instead of our "beware, you are saving non-ODF!"
dialog box?

If you mean the native Windows / Gnome / KDE dialogs, it is a bit hard;
they support a way to add check boxes, but more might be problematic.
Do you have an example of another app that does this?  If there is one,
I am sure we can do it too.

All the best,
Kendy