[Patch] [Feature] Gradient Fill for Cells in Calc

Muthu Subramanian K sumuthu at suse.com
Tue Sep 11 23:41:44 PDT 2012

On 09/12/2012 11:49 AM, Stefan Knorr wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> so, here's an attempt at a UX view at the feature:
> * most of the UI looks the same as comparable UI for drawing objects –
> which is excellent, because that makes the UIs consistent, and because
> it already uses time-tested UI (which of course doesn't mean that it's
> absolutely ideal, either)
Thank you.
> * Among the design team we had some ideas regarding gradient
> manipulation from the toolbars etc., see:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color_picker .
> But that's not the most important thing right now.
I assume this is a redesign? But some nice designs there, I should say.
And does increase my motivation :)

> * What I feel is the most important thing lacking in the current
> behaviour implemented is colouring multiple cells with a _consistent_
> gradient. If every cell gets its own little gradient that will inspire
> lots of horrible designs. Being able to colour the background of the
> entire sheet or at least an area of cells could lead to visually more
> appealing effects.
> Of course, that would seem to make the UI much more complex..?
I am not sure if I understood this right: Do you mean if we color
A1:D2 as gradient - it should behave like a single box rather than
individually? I specifically made this apply individually - otherwise
Calc will optimize fill consecutive cells as one.

> * An additional pain point: the in-built are still pretty awful. But
> that's probably out of scope for you and more in scope for the design
> team...
Assuming you are referring to the inbuilt fill styles - Yes, its
something out of scope :(

Thank you so much!
Muthu Subramanian