Support of templates and extensions was: Re: Libreoffice-qa Digest, Vol 21, Issue 51

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Tue Apr 2 03:09:52 PDT 2013

Robinson Tryon píše v So 30. 03. 2013 v 10:55 -0400:
> > From: Joel Madero <jmadero.dev at gmail.com>
> > 2) An "official" badge that will be prominently displayed on templates that
> > are:
> >     a) bundled with LibreOffice
> >     b) Meet some other criteria that is to be determined by QA
> >
> > *the idea is that these badges would say 'guaranteed to be maintained,
> > tested & supported against future releases' or some such thing.
>
> Yes. I'm thinking 3 levels here:
>
> 1) Guaranteed testing/maintenance/support (our internal QA Team/Devs
> will support this code)

Hmm, when I think more about it, I am not sure whether we officially
support or test any extensions at http://extensions.libreoffice.org at
all.

The bundled extensions has the source code inside the libreoffice git
repository. They are built together with the main application from the
current sources. The point is that we do not upload these extensions  at
http://extensions.libreoffice.org. Hence, the extensions at the
extensions site might have another versions than the bundled ones. The
extensions at the extensions site are uploaded and maintained by their
authors or another enthusiasts.

So, I think that badge or flag should say that they are "also bundled"
or so. In each case, I think that it is not true that we support the
copy of the extension at the extensions site.

> 2) Some/Extension developer support
>
> 3) No support  ("tossed over the wall" -- do what you like with it,
> *maybe* ask a question on the Ask site, but don't file bugs)

I somehow feel that this is too formal. I think that this might work if
an extensions is supported by a company or by someone who could make a
money on it. Do we have such extensions?

I would prefer if it looks more funny and more inviting for
contributors. For example, some extensions might be created during
summer holidays. They might be cool and might work several years. I
would not bring them to the last category just because they are not
actively developed. If they get very positive feedback, they should get
on top of the list :-)

In fact, I think that it is more fair to sort extensions by feedback
than by some promises of the author. Non working extensions will get bad
feedback, scary comments. The reality will describe the status :-)

I think that we just need to allow to contact the author or leave a
feedback easily. Also we should all to make extensions that they are not
supported with some LO versions.

BTW: I see that there is a done link next to each extension, for example
see
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/serbian-cyrillic-and-latin-spelling-and-hyphenation
But donation goes to the LibreOffice product. I think that it should be
possible to send the donation to the author of the extensions. IMHO, it
would be more fair.

> >> 1. Close as NOTOURBUG + comment to contact extensions author
> >>     -Remember some extensions are bundled with LibreOffice
> >>     -Here adding ability to have “comments” on extensions would be
> >> great so that users could directly get in touch with extension
> >> developers
> >>     -If comment not available, having an easy “contact author” button
> >> would be good

I think that this is the best solution.

BTW: I wonder how it is working in Mozilla. I think that this is one of
the most successful project regarding of the number of extensions :-)

Best Regards,
Petr