Removing C++ SDK examples, clearly encouraging Python extensions (was: LibreOffice prints on tuesdays)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Apr 2 03:22:51 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:47:18AM +0200, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> IMHO what would be needed:
>
>   * make uno-skeletonmaker generate python code skeleton
>   * add python support to ooeclipse using pydev (or add UNO support to a
> python IDE)

I see both not being that essential, to be honest:

We dont need uno-skeletonmaker much for Python as it is has introspection. You
can e.g.:

 print(unoobject)

on any UNO object and it tells you all you need to know about it.

As for IDEs: Actually I dont think that many Python stuff is done in a IDE --
most is simply written in an editor. Also IDEs might give people (rightfully in
most cases) the feeling that there is a lot of dark magic going on when
building a project.  That is not the impression we want to create -- The
'Tuesday printer'-extension is completely self-contained:

You can edit it and run the 'build' script in it, which repack the zip and have
your modified extension. Looking at the trivial 'build' script wont scare
anybody and it is generic and trivial to integrate ad-hoc into _any_ IDE.

Instead of caring about a zoo of IDEs or enterprisy deployment tools, what is
needed is:
a/ well maintained examples
b/ some tutorials and youtube vidoes showing how simple it is

Best,

Bjoern