new gerrit-builds & unit tests ...

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 09:12:07 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Noel Grandin <noel at peralex.com> wrote:
> On 2013-04-05 17:36, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>>
>> 24 hours window.. the limiting factor being windows that take ~2 hours for
>> a successful build, the 2 others take about 15 minutes.
>

> What is the limiting factor with Windows?
the fact that it take 2 hours and not 15 minutes like the rest.
The best windows build time I got is 50-70 minutes... and that is a
box with a i7 overclocked at 4Ghz and 4 sdd in raid-0.
but then again the goal here is not so much the time-to-build a
specific patch but the ability to handle to load overall... iow with 2
hours build on windows and 15 minutes build on the rest... you need 8
windows box per one linux and one mac box to get a balanced system...
that can cope with about ~25 build per 'work day' or ~90 build per 24
hours... which should be enough to cover the current patch rate
(overall about 60/day overall with peak at 100 a day - again overall.
the point being to size the system based on the premise that every
patch transit by gerrit... which is the goal...

> CPU or IO?
> If it's IO, maybe the machines need a small SSD for the build directory?

CPU mostly... but sadly it does not scale well with the number of
cores as a number of tasks (make itself, packaging...) are mono
threaded...

Norbert