Better icon names/ easier icon themes (fdo#30425)

Rodolfo rodolforg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 14:28:51 PDT 2013

Hi, Michael, Stefan.

2013/4/9 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com>:
>         Well, we could include a text file with a mapping from uno command ->
> image name in the code if you want; it might even not slow us down too
> horribly at startup if we're lucky ;-) [ perhaps we might save something
> from reducing duplication ].

I'm ok with that. If we can count how many duplicate images (for UNO
commands) does exist, we could know it is pointless or not.

>         In general short filenames have some benefits - they are duplicated
> twice un-compressed in each .zip file - in the directory and also in the
> zip pre-amble to each file. We saved a chunk of space there by moving a
> ton of images into cmd/ instead of res/commandimagelist/ - there are a
> lot of icons.

>         So - I'd like a clearer idea of what we want to achieve in fdo#30425
> before going too much further.

I suppose

>         In particular, we can't rename UNO commands without breaking backwards
> compatibility - so IMHO the only really useful approach here is to have
> a mapping.

Hm... I didn't mean to renaming UNO commands, I just said that how it
is implemented leads to some duplicates.

What about other icons, then? There's a lot of inconsistency and
"encripted" names... [1]

>         Perhaps starting by adding a concept of textual symlinks (to reduce
> duplication) that are theme specific might be helpful. You can see where
> images are loaded:
>
>         vcl/source/gdi/impimagetree.cxx
>
>         IIRC there is really only one 'real' method there: doLoadImage - I
> guess we could build a symlink cache in there that would (on first icon
> lookup) try to load & parse a 'links.txt' file in the .zip (preferably
> we'd pack that at the beginning), that had:
>
> cmd/lc_notthere.png cmd/lc_isthere.png

That's a way to go. Simple to implement and simple for an
artist/designer/"themer" to do it also.

2013/4/10 Stefan Knorr <heinzlesspam at gmail.com>:
> I think this might be what you wanted to find on the wiki:
>   https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Icon_Themes

Yes, that's it =)
But the concerns about name sizes pointed by Meeks ruin this
concept... Unless things like this [2] show duplicate images.

[1] http://pastebin.com/AXy2czYu
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Icon_Themes/Action