Impress Remote Firefox OS / B2G

KAMI911 KAMI911 kami911 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 02:10:48 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Great job! I really love this :o)

2013/4/12 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com>

> Hi Andrzej,
>
> On Thu, 2013-04-11 at 18:46 +0100, Andrzej J. R. Hunt wrote:
> > I've started working on a Firefox OS version of the Impress Remote app.
> > Currently only TCP will be supported, hardcoded to use localhost (I'll
> > start working on Bluetooth once I obtain some suitable hardware,
> > hopefully by the end of the month).
>
>         That's cool :-) I CC Kami who would no doubt love to help out /
> mentor
> you for a GSOC project around this over the summer. Kami (CC'd) is on
> the FirefoxOS team and also an old-time LibreOffice contributor.
>
>         I -believe- the plan is for FirefoxOS-next to implement Bluetooth
> APIs
> in Javascript [ or somesuch magic ] which is being worked on, possibly
> Kami can help get you some pointers there (?).

WebBluetooth is currently under implementing. Here comes more info:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/WebBluetooth

> > At the moment the app only allows connecting to Impress and moving
> > forward by one slide. For now I'm concentrating on implementing  a full
> > backend (i.e. keeping track of presentation state and storage of slide
> > previews / notes), a prettier / more usable UI will come later.
>
>         Nice. Arguably repeating the experience of the physics in the
> coverflow
> widget would not be so great for switching slides ;-) I'd love to see
> that changed to need a scroll + tap to switch slide on Android even...
>
> > For testing it is easiest to use the Firefox OS Simulator, which is a
> > Firefox (browser) plugin -- this needs to pointed at the sources in
> > firefoxos/sdremote. (Note: you need to restart the simulator before
> > updating the app for any changes to take effect.)
>
>         No idea how that stuff is packaged, but if we can add a Makefile
> that
> creates a package of some kind, then I guess ( since this can be built
> on any platform) we could encourage the Android tinderbox to up-load
> that :-)

Apps file are a zip file with manifest file. It is relative easy to pack it.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Apps/Manifest

Probably this demo provides all information to make an installable,
self-containing apps.
 http://comoyo.github.io/blog/2013/03/12/build-first-ffos-app/

> > Screenshot of app in Simulator + Console  attached.
>
>         Looks lovely :-)
>
>         ATB,
>
>                 Michael.
> --