NewBie To GSOC And Really wanted to work with LibreOffice

Joel Madero jmadero.dev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 09:31:38 PDT 2013

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 08:23:03 -0700 (PDT)
> From: BlushBoy <jayantssable at gmail.com>
> To: libreoffice at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: NewBie To GSOC And Really wanted to work with LibreOffice
>
> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm newbie to GSOC and really impressed with various projects published on
> ideas list of libreoffice and really wanted to be the part of libreoffice.
>
> I am Jayant Sable from India currently doing Bachelor of Engineering in
> Computer Technology. My grades are
> good as my current CGPA is 8.6/10. I am pretty much aware with programming
> fields as i have good rankings in codechef.com(online programming contest
> site) http://www.codechef.com/users/jan__
> I've done a topcoder marathon too. But that was a programming part. I
> really
> wanted to work on projects at GSOC and really impressed with LIBREOFFICE.
>
> So, i just wanted to get started with libreoffice and its wanted to
> familier
> with it.
>
> I'm attracted with projects "Improve usability of Personas" and "Use Widget
> Layout for the Start Center".
>
> So i really wanted to know from where should i start for these projects and
> what should i do to make impact as a student
> for these projects.
>
> Thanking You!

First, welcome! Great to have you interested. For GSoC specific questions,
I'm not so sure as I'm not involved with that aspect of LibreOffice but how
to get involved immediately, I have some pointers :)

1. Download and build libreoffice on your system - if you're running Linux
here are the instructions, seems like Wiki has been updated
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingTipsAndTricks

2. Join us on IRC (freenode @ #libreoffice-dev)

3. Take a look at our easy hacks if you want to try a patch out immediately
- https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks_by_Difficulty

4. Get familiar with our wiki as much as possible

5. And my personal pitch, join us over on the QA side for a couple weeks to
get familiar with FDO (bug tracker), to look at our triaging process, get
active in the community, etc...

you can find us on freenode  @ #libreoffice-qa

Best Regards,
Joel