cherry-pick across renames [was: minutes of ESC call ...]

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at suse.cz
Tue Apr 16 06:46:34 PDT 2013

Hi Norbert,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 08:08:20AM -0500, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> humm... with moving of 1000's of headers... I wonder what the limit
> will then be needed ?

No idea, the kernel already had an i386 -> x86 rename or so (and they
then fixed quite some git rename vs merge issues), so I would not worry
too much.

> also, that must impact gerrit too. iow I would need to increase that
> parameter on the gerrit side
> so that cherry-picking works ? or do we want to consider that for
> these few transient patch that will need cherry picking accross the
> move, people should manually rebase theses patch are re-push them to
> gerrit ?

I thought our current workflow is:

- devA cherry-picks a commit from master to -4-0
- devA pushes to refs/for/4-0
- devB fetches from gerrit, tests, review, then pushes the button if it
  looks OK (or pushes to refs/heads/4-0)

In this workflow no adjustment on the gerrit side is needed, I guess.

Miklos