Python extensions fail to load on Mac with LO4

Alexander Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 01:30:32 PDT 2013

Hi all,

A person recently posted a question on the user mailing about a python
extension they are trying to get working on Mac OSX.

I thought that this might be a problem with the manifest.xml file, so I
decided to test with a connector that I thought would work, i.e. the
pyuno MRI extension, which installs on all versions of LO from 3.3.4 to
3.6.5, but which fails to install on LO4.0.2.2 and LibreOfficeDev master
build, with the following error message :

(com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException) { { Message = "<class
'SyntaxError'>: invalid syntax (MRI.py, line 21), traceback
follows\X000a
/Applications/LibreOfficeDev.app/Contents/program/pythonloader.py:102 in
function getModuleFromUrl() [codeobject = compile( src,
encfile(filename), \"exec\" )]\X000a
/Applications/LibreOfficeDev.app/Contents/program/pythonloader.py:149 in
function writeRegistryInfo() [mod = self.getModuleFromUrl( locationUrl
)]\X000a\X000a", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) @0 } }

Note that for the moment, I have only confirmed that this problem exists
on OSX.

Is there anything that has changed between 3.6.x and 4.x that would
cause python extensions to fail to be loaded on OSX ?

Alex