[PROPOSAL] enable gerrit buildbot trigger for all in group commiter

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Apr 22 01:10:46 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 07:50:55AM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:06:20PM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
>
> > so this is a proposal to enable the ability to trigger a build for all in the
> > group commiter (...)
>
> This sounds attractive. We can do this ~immediately and do the
> "through web interface / gerrit" when we figured out how to do it.

Yes, thats the proposal. Have a working interim solution there.

> In the current situation, group committer can not even *see* the
> queue. IMHO, we could let an even bigger group see the queue; buildbot
> seems to have a specific capability for this:
>
> $ ssh -p 29418 lmamane at gerrit.libreoffice.org buildbot show -p core
> fatal: lmamane does not have "viewQueue" capability.
>
> Now, who should be able to see the queue? My first thought would be
> just everybody.

I dont think we should overinvest in that interim solution though and
separating "can view queue" from "can schedule job" is quite some work. In the
long run having the queue visible on a website (which polls the state via ssh)
should do.

As for resources: Given the current build times and number of committers, this
ends up with ~one build per committer per week on average to give you an broad
idea. OTOH, some will not use it (or not use it right away) and if the queue is
idling, there is little reason not to give it some work.

Best,

Bjoern