forward RTL_CONTEXT_foo logging to SAL_INFO in default debugging

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Apr 22 05:00:00 PDT 2013

On 04/22/2013 01:17 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:04:30PM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, there had been: I was trying to wrap my haed around the
>>> observer-pattern-gone-bad of vcl-callbacks going into
>>> framework/uielement/menubarmanager.cxx to see if there is something going wrong
>>> with the order of execution. RTL_LOGFILE provides some helpful ad-hoc hints
>>> there without manually setting bazillion breakpoints or adding SAL_INFOs there.
>>
>> I think Tor's comment is to the point.  Ultimately, we'll want
>> SAL_WARN/SAL_INFO enabled in more builds, so we shouldn't get too
>> carried away with adding too many SAL_INFOs for tracing purposes.
>
> I can see your point for SAL_WARN, but not really for SAL_INFO. I cant think of
> a scenario where a buildwide enabling of SAL_INFO makes much sense, however I
> can see much use in enabling it for one lib/module/whatever, and for that it
> doesnt have to be too restrained.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here.  With "enabled" I
meant having SAL_WARN/SAL_INFO expand to actual code (instead of having
the compiler optimize it away).  Whether that code then also does some
logging depends on further constraints (SAL_LOG env var), but my point
was that the code itself does incur a certain (small) runtime cost.

Stephan