[ANN] global header move on Tuesday 2013-04-23 between 1200UTC and 2000UTC

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Apr 23 07:04:38 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 03:36:51PM +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> On 2013-04-23 15:29, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> >On 04/23/2013 03:09 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> >>Why are you rebasing daily? I work on patches and rebase them
> >>once directly
> >>before pushing them to master sparing myself a lot of pain (and severely
> >>reducing the risk of ending up with rebasing on a broken master
> >>etc.). I can see others doing the same.
> >
> >An alternative model is to "pull often, push often."

Also called the using-git-like-SVN-method. ;)
Noel is right though, that frequent pulls might be prohibitive depending on
your hardware.

I think the frequency of iteration (daily, weekly) is not really that
important. Do as fast as you comfortably can with your hardware.

The important key point IMHO is not to pull more that you push, otherwise you
degrade yourself to a very expansive tinderbox.

> I rebase once a week because my changes have a high likelihood of
> triggering conflicts.

That sounds sensible to me. What I do is, I have a cronjob that runs a master
build and populates my ccache to the newest master, so when I rebase I
essentially just copy in the files from cache (and I only rebase on a master
that finished building).

> And I "push seldom" to reduce the reviewing workload on Stephan :-)

How about pushing to gerrit and having a testbuild there? We are ressource
contrained still, but that bot surely is cheaper than Stephan ;)

Best,

Bjoern