Minutes of the ESC call 2013-08-01

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Sat Aug 3 05:00:28 PDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 09:54:33AM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 08/03/2013 02:56 AM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
>> * API date issue (Lionel/Stephan)
>>      + patches pending on gerrit for -4-1
>> AI: + review & get them in before Monday:
>>        https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/5245

> So, consensus appears to be to go with option 1 ("Break ABI/API in
> 4.1.1") from
> <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2013-July/054764.html>
> "More time-related API headache"?  Did you happen to have any
> further discussion about it during the ESC meeting?

Not really. It happened a bit like this:

 - agenda point "time API".

 - Lionel: nobody commented on ML, Stephan asked questions to better
   understand and explore possibilities and their consequences, but
   did not express clear preference.

 - OK, is there a clear proposal on the table?

 - Lionel: option 1 is sitting in gerrit.

 - OK, then let's do that.

> (Sorry I couldn't get involved more in this due to time constraints.
> But I'm still a bit scared going with this option that can lead to
> "silent" problems, rather than going with any of options 4 or 5.)

I'd be happy about option 4; *internally*, I was afraid that it would
introduce more bugs than option 1, especially given the short
timeline. *Externally*, it is safer, yes.

I don't want option 5 as a "permanent" solution. In the face of a
strong consensus, to me It is acceptable (but clearly not preferred)
if it comes with a clear "yes, we are going to pick something like
options 1 to 4 later during the 4.x cycle".

I'm going to invest a few hours now to prepare option 4. Let's see how
it turns out.

--
Lionel