Branch Management

Joel Madero jmadero.dev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 08:49:09 PDT 2013

On 08/13/2013 12:44 AM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Joel Madero wrote:
>> I think the wiki just needs a bit of clarification for noobs using
>> multiple branches like me as the instructions don't warn about
>> things like double submitting changes if you commit multiple changes
>> from different branches.
>>
> Hi Joel,
>
> which wiki page had the misleading or insufficient info? Note that
> since you commit locally, git log -p will always show you the change
> that _actually_ went in. And assuming you're on the master branch,
> 'git log -p origin/master..HEAD' will also show you what new commits
> would go out, would you git push.
>
> HTH,
>
> -- Thorsten
I think there are a few things that should be clarified and expanded on
for noobies trying to get involved:

1. There are currently multiple wikis giving different directions:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Patch_Handling_Guidelines &
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/gerrit#Submitting_patches_for_review

pretty confusing, especially because I think #2 is the better one but
googling "patch submission libreoffice" usually directs me to #1.

2. Explaining branch management a bit better - I guess technically this
is part of understanding git but when the step is there for how to
create a branch on our wiki, it should be explained that this includes
unstaged changes from other branches (ie they are carried over) and
explain the difference between git commit -a (which I was told NEVER DO,
that's where I went wrong yesterday as I had assumed that git commit -a
only commits changes done immediately on that branch not unstaged
changes from other branches) vs. whatever method we should be using

3. Reviewing your patch (git log -p -1 I believe, I don't see that
anywhere but I got that advice in IRC and told to do it every time,
therefore I think useful for the wiki

4. git-gui - this is incredibly nifty and again, only found out about it
because of IRC - I think for new users in particular this gui frontend
is perfect.

Those are immediate notes, I'd clarify myself on the wiki but I'm not
confident enough that I know enough to make it right.

Best,
Joel