GSOC / VLC status & next steps ...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Aug 21 04:53:21 PDT 2013

Hello,

On 21 Aug, Michael Meeks wrote :
> 	1. we need to be sure of the API guarentees around libvlc
> 		+ JB - what API guarentees do you have there ?

Very very strong API stability on libVLC.
API functions are added, that's it. Nothing is removed, ABI is kept.
Extension of API gets with newer functions, if needed.

Complete API instability on libVLCcore, but you don't care, and if you
link to libvlccore, I can't do anything for you :)

> 		+ we currently hard-code your ABI in the wrapper
> 		  we use to make this a very lite dependency

ABI is maintained since libVLC 1.1 and we intend to always keep it.
ABI breakage should be considered a bug and reported ASAP.

> 		Would it be better to have an 'ABI version' that is
> 	 incremented as/when back-compatibility of your plugin API
> 	 changes ? [ that we could switch on ]

No, because we don't break ABI and we won't.

> 	2. we need a good way to locate VLC / libvlc by default on
> 	   Win / Mac / Linux
> 		+ JB: I assume that there are default install paths
> 		  is there a registry key on Windows ? Mac (I assume)

Default is on Program Files (32bits) /VideoLAN/VLC/libvlc.dll
as recommended by Microsoft.
Regedit is: HKLM\Software\VideoLAN\VLC\InstallDir as recommended.

> 		  has nothing but perhaps a normal install path, and

MacOS X is the usual mess, but we recommend /Applications/VLC.app/ and
you can find the libvlc.dylib

> 		  for Linux it's unclear we want to use a system /
> 		  distro packaged VLC since it's almost certainly
> 		  pre-broken.

Linux, what do you mean pre-broken?

Best regards,

--