eot embedded fonts

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Aug 27 08:25:42 PDT 2013

On Tuesday 27 of August 2013, Brennan T Vincent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One of the most commonly-occurring problems with .pub import is the fact
> that we don't respect embedded fonts. Now that LibreOffice supports
> embedded fonts, it should be possible to make this work.

 That depends. EOT is a Microsoft proprietary font format (which has been
submitted to W3C, but AFAICT pretty much everybody else ignores it). There
are tools to convert e.g. TTF fonts to EOT, but I couldn't find absolutely
anything that'd convert from EOT and the only thing capable of at least
reading it is MS Windows itself. As far as I understand it, the available
documentation on it is unsufficient for implementing a reader if you'd decide
it'd be worth the effort (I'm not entirely sure on this part, feel free to do
your own research).

 Here are some links that I found on the topic:

http://blog.yezhucn.com/gdi/t2embed_TTLoadEmbeddedFont.htm
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00076_Embedding_fonts.htm

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/16234/are-there-any-free-tools-to-convert-eot-files-to-ttf-otf-or-any-other-font-f
http://www.w3.org/Submission/2008/SUBM-EOT-20080305/
http://www.w3.org/Submission/2008/SUBM-MTX-20080305/
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0227.html
http://securitylabs.websense.com/content/Blogs/3114.aspx

> A few questions:
>
> (1) Do we support Embedded OpenType fonts currently? (.eot)

 No.

> (2) If not (which I suspect), I can contribute some code to do this.
> Microsoft and Monotype recently granted a perpetual, irrevocable free
> patent and copyright license to implement the .eot format, so there should
> be no legal issues. I have written a C library to convert from .eot to .ttf
> and would like to know who to talk to in order to get this included in
> LibreOffice.

 Yes, adding support for export should be fairly easy, given that TTF->EOT
conversion is possible, but that's the easier part and it doesn't really help
LO much.

 A kind of limited import support should be also doable, as the Windows
TTLoadEmbeddedFont() function can load such a font for use (unlike the normal
Windows function for opening fonts). See the attached hackish proof of
concept patch. That'd make import of it Windows-only, unless you find a way
to use EOT on other platforms. It'd also most probably require some changes
in VCL's font handling, as I couldn't get the activated font listed among
available fonts (which is what otherwise the current reading of embedded
fonts does, it adds the new font temporarily in whichever way the underlying
font system supports and then just uses it normally as if it was a system
font).

 There's a class EmbeddedFontsHelper in VCL that I created for handling
embedded fonts, that should be the place to start if you want to give
implementing this a try.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz