30 arguments in functions (?)

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at collabora.com
Mon Dec 2 17:20:23 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-29 at 19:57 -0200, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Most of the translation I have about Calc functions such as SUM, SUMIF,
> COUNT states that "arg1, arg1... arg30 are 30 arguments for the
> function...."
>
> Some people here are discorvering that, in fact, you can have up to 255
> arguments in your function.
>
> So, what should we put in our translation? Is this a unlisted feature?

IMO, these sort of arbitrary upper limits may change in the future just
like the max sheet numbers, row numbers and column numbers have changed
in the past and still may in the future.

Given that, it's best that we don't mention these things in the help
text at all.  We could, for instance, mention that the number of
arguments per function is subject to some arbitrary upper bound, but
it's probably best not to use a hard number.

Just my opinion.

Kohei