30 arguments in functions (?)

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 04:13:28 PST 2013

Hi Olivier,

On Friday, 2013-11-29 19:57:00 -0200, Olivier Hallot wrote:

> Most of the translation I have about Calc functions such as SUM, SUMIF,
> COUNT states that "arg1, arg1... arg30 are 30 arguments for the
> function...."
>
> Some people here are discorvering that, in fact, you can have up to 255
> arguments in your function.
>
> So, what should we put in our translation? Is this a unlisted feature?

The functions' number of possible parameters is 255, but the
FunctionWizard UI currently is limited to 30 arguments, if you have
a function with more arguments the remaining arguments and separators
get squeezed into the last parameter's UI edit field, which looks odd
but still works. That's why you encounter the magic number 30 in the
FunctionWizard descriptions that maybe also made it into the help text.

So in translations of the current FunctionWizard function descriptions
I'd stick with the 30 (saying 255 there but not actually supporting it
in the UI would be weird), but not mention that number elsewhere.

  Eike

GPG key ID: 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack