[Libreoffice-qa] Bugzilla Migration: Abbreviation to replace fdo#12345

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 22:54:07 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The devs really like lo# (as it gives them more room in commit
>> messages),
>
> Yeah, and it is the dev that have to type it a lot, no ?

Sure -- and people on the Ask site, and QA people in FDO...err....
<insert abbreviation here>, etc..

>>but by a wide margin the only 4-char abbreviation in the
>> list has taken an early lead.
> Sure, but if you were to ask that question on the dev-ml rather than
> here.. I'd bet you you'd get many more vote for lo#

true.

I'd always like to have more devs listening-in on what we talk about
on the QA list...
;-)

> Norbert
>
> PS: btw I don't see the appeal to want to stick characters in there to
> re-inforce the idea that it is a bugzilla number... the # in it is
> sufficient enough to make that clear
> so the b/bz stuff is not only a waste of space.. but also completely
> redundant. it is like climbing up or descending down...

Fair, fair. One other thing:
The abbreviation has a secondary purpose: to be used as shorthand for
the bugtracker. Using our two highest-profile options:
"Joel, go take a look at regressions on FDO" => "Joel, go take a look
at regressions on LO"
"Joel, go take a look at regressions on FDO" => "Joel, go take a look
at regressions on LOBZ"

--R